Questions? Contact Lior at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-317-7810
Dates and Locations:
June 26 – 30: Jefferson Unitarian Church (14350 W 32nd Ave, Golden, CO 80401)
July 3-7: National American University, Aurora Campus (350 N. Blackhawk St, Aurora, 80011)
July 10 – 14: Meadowbrook Clubhouse (4430 W Geddes Ave, Littleton, CO 80128)
July 17-21: Central Christian Church (3690 Cherry Creek South Dr, Denver, CO 80209)
Full-day: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Early Bird Cost: $299 (late registration after June 1st: $325)
Half-day morning: 9:00 a.m. –12:00 p.m. Early Bird Cost: $180 (after June 1st: $195)
Half-day afternoon: 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Early Bird Cost: $180 (after June 1st: $195)
Sibling Discount: Full-Day: $50 off ($25 per child) for siblings. Half-Day: $30 off ($15 per child)
Be a PAL to PALS: $25 rebate for referrals to new PALS students
Chess boards, t-shirts, and certificates included for ALL participants!
About the Head Instructor:
Lior Lapid is the 2015, 2016 and current Colorado State Chess Champion, three-time NM State Chess Champion, and former K-9 and K-12 National Champion. He has over 20 years of experience teaching chess to children and has been the head coach at chess camps in Israel, New York, Virginia, New Mexico, and Colorado. He presented a talk on chess training and motivation for children at the 2011 Koltanowski Conference on Chess and Education, the second chess education conference in North America. Lior has been featured twice in the United State Chess Federation’s “Chess Life” Magazine and received an “Outstanding Coach” endorsement by the New Mexico Chess Organization in 2012.
Chess camp description: Time is divided equally between learning and playing, and students are divided into groups (after a preliminary assessment) based on skill level. We will have one 20-minute recess in the morning and another in the afternoon, during which kids will get plenty of exercise playing games like soccer, basketball, capture the flag, and more. Water and healthy snacks will be provided during each recess. Lunch is from 12:00-1:00 p.m. each day; full-day students must bring their own lunch. Half-day students are welcome to stay for lunch as well.
- Students learn tactics and strategies in all phases of chess (opening, middlegame, endgame)
- Group challenges and presentations reinforce students’ teamwork and leadership skills
- Special activities like bughouse (team chess), battleship chess, piece mazes, chess stories and riddles, creative problem-composing and problem-solving, and more!
- Students learn about chess history through analysis of famous games and historical anecdotes
- On the last day of chess camp (Friday) at 3:30 p.m. we will have group presentations for parents and an awards ceremony with prizes for all! Each camper will receive their own tournament chess set, a PALS Chess Academy t-shirt and a personalized certificate.