Upcoming K-8 PALS Scholastic Chess Tournaments will run from 9:00 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. on:
(click the link to register or see below for details)
Our final PALS tournament of the 2018-19 school year promises to be a blast! After 10 consecutive draws between in the World Championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana, our PALS Chess students will show ’em what exciting top-level chess really looks like
We will once again have three separate sections: K-2, 3-5 and 6-8. See below for more details. As always, our tournaments are kid-friendly and lots of fun. Every child will leave with an award and, most importantly a smile!
When: Saturday, December 15 from 9:15 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Please register no later than Friday, December 14th and plan to arrive by 8:45 or earlier for check-in.
Where: Platte River Academy, 4085 Lark Sparrow St., Highlands Ranch, CO 80126
Entry Fee: $20, or just $10 for first-time participants!
Schedule: Parents and kids should check in between 8:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Round times are 9:15, 10:00, 10:45, and 12:10 (after lunch break) The awards ceremony will begin at 1:00 p.m. and we will conclude at 1:15 p.m. Optional simultaneous event with PALS Head Coach Lior Lapid after the tournament concludes (see below).
Lunch: There will be a lunch break after round 3 from 11:35 -12:15. Children may bring a packed lunch or parents may take their kids home or to a restaurant during the lunch break.
- Awesome Prizes: Trophies or medals for ALL participants! Unique prizes such as the Chess Queen Trophy awarded to the girl who scores the most points, the David vs Goliath trophy to the Kindergartner who scores the most points, medals for outstanding sportsmanship and outstanding games, and more! Everyone leaves a winner.
- World Championship Highlights: During the lunch break, PALS Head Coach Lior Lapid will show exciting highlights from the ongoing World Chess Championship between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana. Participants will try to guess a few of the moves of the two top ranked players in the world, and prizes will be awarded for anyone who guesses correctly!
- Can you defeat the Colorado State Champion?: After the main tournament concludes, Coach Lior will take on all comers in a simultaneous exhibition! Children and child-parent teams are welcome to play, and any winning players/teams will win a personalized trophy.
- Kids will enjoy playing GIANT Team Chess outside between rounds, using the school’s giant pieces on their giant board!
- Outdoor recreation includes a playground, basketball court and soccer field where kids can play games between rounds.
- Non-elimination format means everyone plays all four rounds, no player is ever eliminated!
- Seating will be available for parents who wish to stay at the tournament. Wi-Fi access will be available through the school’s network (password provided at the tournament).