K-6 Tournament on Saturday, December 16th
Let’s get ready for the new year with some good old-fashioned thinking, learning and FUN!
PALS Chess Academy runs seasonal chess tournaments in Denver, directed by current Colorado State Champion and PALS Head Coach Lior Lapid. This friendly and exciting tournament takes place at Platte River Academy (4085 Lark Sparrow St, Littleton, Co 80126) and the registration fee is $20.
Players should arrive by 9:00 a.m. and the last round will end by approximately 1:00 p.m. There will be an awards ceremony from 1:15-1:30 p.m., and an optional Bughouse Bonanza game (see below) will follow. Please register by Friday, December 15th.
- Awesome Prizes: Trophies or medals for ALL participants!
- Exercise Mind & Body: Between grueling rounds of chess, kids may play fun sports outside!
- Chess games and mazes on the big outdoor chess set: In between rounds, children may also play on the big chess set outside the school. We will provide chess mazes and other “chessercizes” that kids will enjoy solving together.
- Bughouse Bonanza!: After the tournament concludes, there will be two Super-Bughouse games for those wishing to stay. Bughouse is a game of team chess in which captured pieces get recycled and reused on teammates’ boards. If you capture a queen, your opponent has one queen less and your partner has one queen more! Everyone will be assigned to one of two large teams, and each team will have a mailman/mailwoman who carries pieces to his/her teammates and gives them advice. If your children have not experienced the crazy fun adventure of Bughouse Chess with PALS, they won’t want to miss this special game!
- Non-elimination format means everyone plays all four rounds and everyone wins a prize!
- Special prizes include “Chess Queen” trophy for the girl with the top score, “David vs Goliath” trophy to Kindergartener or 1st Grader with the top score, “Outstanding Sportsmanship” and “Outstanding Game” medals.
- Seating will be available for parents who wish to stay at the tournament.