Upcoming PALS tournament dates: March 31, April 21, May 19
K-6 Tournament on Saturday, March 31, 2018
Join our first tourney of 2018 and get ready for some old-fashioned thinking, learning and FUN!
PALS Chess Academy runs seasonal chess tournaments in Denver, directed by current Colorado State Champion and PALS Head Coach Lior Lapid. This friendly and exciting tournament takes place at Platte River Academy (4085 Lark Sparrow St, Littleton, Co 80126) and the registration fee is $20.
Players should arrive by 9:00 a.m. and the last round will end by approximately 1:00 p.m. There will be an awards ceremony from 1:15-1:30 p.m., and an optional Bughouse Bonanza game (see below) will follow. Please register by Friday, March 30.
Entry Fee: $20 for returning players, $10 for first-time participants
- Awesome Prizes: Trophies or medals for ALL participants!
- Exercise Mind & Body: Between grueling rounds of chess, kids may play fun sports outside!
- Chess games and mazes on the big outdoor chess set: In between rounds, children may also play on the big chess set outside the school. We will provide chess mazes and other “chessercizes” that kids will enjoy solving together.
- Bughouse Bonanza!: After the main tournament and awards ceremony conclude at 1:30, students who aren’t “chessed out” may stay for a “Bughouse Bonanza” championship! Bughouse is a fun game of team chess usually played with two per team, but in this case teams will have up to 10 players along with a mailman or mailwoman delivering captured pieces to their teammates. Bughouse Chess is a perennial favorite for kids of all ages, and parents are welcome to join their child’s team as well!
- Non-elimination format means everyone plays all four rounds and everyone wins a prize!
- Special prizes include “Chess Queen” trophy for the girl with the top score, “David vs Goliath” trophy to Kindergartener or 1st Grader with the top score, “Outstanding Sportsmanship” and “Outstanding Game” medals.
- Seating will be available for parents who wish to stay at the tournament.